Joe Francis' Sentencing Date Set for July 9
LOS ANGELES — “Girls Gone Wild” founder Joe Francis filed for a new trial and a two-and-a-half month continuance following his conviction of five misdemeanors by the Los Angeles Superior Court earlier this month
The court will consider Francis’ motion for a new trial on July 9. Should the court reject the motion, Francis will be sentenced on that day, the Los Angeles City Attorney's office told XBIZ.
Francis faces up to five years in jail.
A jury convicted Francis of three counts of false imprisonment, one count of assault and one other misdemeanor. According to Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich, the criminal complaints were filed after an altercation involving three women at a Hollywood nightclub in 2009.
Francis met the three women as they celebrated a college graduation at the Supper Club on Hollywood Boulevard.
He took the women to his gated home and a dispute broke out when he tried to separate one from the other two. Prosecutors said Francis grabbed one of the women her by the hair and throat and slammed her head onto the floor.
Felony charges in the case were declined by the county District Attorney and referred to the City Attorney, who filed the misdemeanor charges.