War Machine's Trial Postponed to Next July
LAS VEGAS — War Machine's trial on 34 felony charges has been postponed until next summer.
The MMA fighter and former porn performer's attorney, Brandon Sua, told a Nevada judge Monday that the defense wants to conduct independent forensic tests on knives found in the home of the ex-girlfriend, retired adult star Christy Mack, the Associated Press reported.
War Machine, aka Jonathan Koppenhaver, 33, had been scheduled for trial next week on the charges stemming from an August 2014 incident that include attempted murder, battery, sexual assault and coercion. He could face life in prison if he's convicted of the most serious counts.
Clark County District Judge Elissa Cadish reset his trial for July 11, 2016, according to AP.
Cadish also agreed to accept written arguments from Sua on a request for a closed-door pretrial hearing of evidence regarding prior consensual sexual relations between Koppenhaver and Mack, the story said.
Arguments would be held during a Nov. 23 status hearing.
Mack, 24, in November testified that Koppenhaver let himself into her Las Vegas home with a key and attacked her and her friend Corey Thomas while they were sleeping, inflicting severe injuries on both.
Mack said she suffered a broken nose, missing teeth, fractured eye socket, leg injuries and a lacerated liver; Thomas said Koppenhaver broke his nose and dislocated his shoulder and threatened additional harm if he went to the police.
Koppenhaver remains in state custody.